Minecraft is one of the most popular and mostly played games. It is under the theme or genre called sandbox games wherein players are allowed to create, modify and destroy their environment in the game.
Play Minecraft on Chromebook; Once, logged in click on the “Play Demo” button at the bottom of the screen and Minecraft Launcher will automatically start downloading and install the latest version of Minecraft on chrome OS. However, using the above steps you won’t be able to run Minecraft on Chromebook on school Chromebook until your school. Installing and playing Minecraft on Chromebook. Before we go into details of this guide, we would like to clarify that you could run Minecraft on Chromebook without you having to move into Developer mode and/or install Crouton. Since Google has improved Linux.
- Before moving ahead, make sure you have set up Linux on your Chromebook. To explain briefly.
- Chromebooks aren’t the ideal Minecraft laptops, that’s for sure. There’s no web-based or Chrome app version of Minecraft, which is written in Java. But Chromebook owners aren’t completely out-of.
- Tutorial on installing Minecraft on your Chromebook. How to install Crouton and run Linux so that you can play Minecraft on your Chromebook.
With its popularity, Minecraft eventually expanded and developed for multiple platforms such as macOS, Windows, Android, Linux, iOS and many more. Unfortunately, even with all these years, this game has not been developed for Chrome OS. Though this is the case, you do not have to worry as Chrome OS comes with Linux support. In other words, you could still install and play Minecraft on your Chromebook without much hassles and troubles.
Installing and playing Minecraft on Chromebook
Before we go into details of this guide, we would like to clarify that you could run Minecraft on Chromebook without you having to move into Developer mode and/or install Crouton. Since Google has improved Linux on Chrome OS, it has become a very stable channel. In fact, Google has brought GPU acceleration to stable channel which makes your game smoother.
Also, the mouse-capture bug on Minecraft is almost solved and it has become more responsive. Furthermore, it also allows you now to increase your mouse sensitivity according to your preference.
With all that, we shall now move on to the guideline on how to install and play Minecraft on your Chromebook.
- Set up Linux on your Chromebook
- Download Minecraft.deb file (Debian/Ubuntu) from https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download/alternative
- Move the file to Linux section – Files app.
- Double click on downloaded file
- Click install button. This will install your Minecraft on your Chromebook.
- Access Minecraft by opening the App Drawer and navigating Linux folder. You will find Minecraft Launcher. Open it.
- Log into your Minecraft account
- Download the latest release
- Install the update. The app will automatically close once it is down installing.
- Open the app again from the app drawer.
- Though this game runs okay with WASD keys control, the mouse sensitivity is a bit dodgy. Hence, to fix it, all you have to do is go to Options. Then to mouse settings and change sensitivity to hyperspeed.
- You could now play and enjoy Minecraft on your Chromebook without any jitters.
- If you encounter any installation error, all you have to do is open terminal app from the app drawer.
- Run Linux commands one by one to be able to install the Java Development Kit.
- Enter Y to continue the installation
- Install Minecraft.deb file from the Files app.
Through our guide above, we hope we were able to help you learn how to install and play one of the most popular games, Minecraft on your Chromebook.
With the improved Linux, you could now experience a much enhanced Linux apps and Chrome OS games and what is more impressive with this is you do not have to tweak or make any changes on your Chromebook as everything depends on your Linux system. So what are you waiting for? Follow the steps featured in this article and start playing and enjoy Minecraft on your Chromebook.
Dhir Acharya - Mar 05, 2021
Minecraft On Chromebook No Linux
If you love Minecraft so much but own a ChromeOS laptop, which does not support this game. Our guide will help you get Minecraft for Chromebook.
Minecraft is a popular sandbox video game that was released in 2011. The game is famous for its infinite terrain where players can build anything out of their imagination and creativity. As of 2020, the game has sold 200 million copies and has 126 million monthly active users. If you love this game but have just switched to a new Chromebook, or if you own a Chromebook and are new to this game, this post will show you how to get Minecraft for Chromebook.
Table of Contents
Can you play Minecraft on Chromebook OS?
You can’t, which is exactly why we compiled this post.
Minecraft won’t run on Chromebook by default. Therefore, the system requirements of the game list that it only works with Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems. On the other hand, Chromebooks run on Chrome OS, an operating system developed by Google. These devices aren’t optimized for gaming.
But no worries, in the next part of the post, we will guide you, step by step, to get Minecraft for Chromebook OS.
How to play Minecraft on Chromebook for free
Before getting to the comprehensive guide, it’s worth noting that you can run the game on a Chromebook without switching to the Developer Mode and installing Crouton. Besides, you can get Minecraft running on the Stable channel. However, you must get Linux support on the computer.
- First of all, set up Linux on your Chromebook if you haven’t done that yet. To do this, you need to open the Settings page. Then, from the left pane, click “Linux (Beta)” and click “Turn on” to make more space for Linux during the setup.
- After installing Linux, the next thing to do is opening the Linux Terminal. Then, search for “terminal” and open it. Otherwise, you can open the App Drawer and find “Linux apps,” where you will find “Terminal.”
- Run the following command, which will update the Linux on your Chromebook to the latest build.
- Next, download the Minecraft.deb file (Debian/Ubuntu) from the game’s official site. Move the file to Files > Linux files.
- Double-click the downloaded file then click on Install. Wait for a few minutes while the game is installed on your Chromebook.
With these 5 steps, you have completed the process of how to download Minecraft for Chromebook.
- In order to access the game, you need to press the Search key and search for “Minecraft.” Open the Minecraft Launcher, which you can find in App Drawer > Linux apps.
- Log in using your Microsoft or Mojang account.
- At the bottom of the screen, click “Play Demo.” After that, it will download and install the latest release automatically. Once the installation is done, the app will close and reopen by itself. If it doesn’t reopen by itself, you can go to the App Drawer and open Minecraft Launcher manually.
- Finally, Minecraft will open on the computer and be ready for you to play. You just need to click “Play Demo World.”
- The game works well with WASD key controls and mouse sensitivity is pretty good. For those who want to change the sensitivity, though, go to Options > Mouse Settings and select Hyperspeed for the sensitivity.
- You will also need to enable the flag below to lock the mouse pointer as you play the game on your Chromebook. All you have to do is copying this line and pasting it on the address bar of the Chrome browser and press Enter.
- If there’s an error during the installation process, you can go to the App Drawer and open the Terminal app. Then, run the command below to install the Java Development Kit. Lastly, install the Minecraft.deb file from the Files app.
Minecraft: Education Edition
Minecraft Education Edition is a version of the game created for education in a classroom setting. In this version, teachers can have a fun, interactive lesson with their students through playing Minecraft. Students of all ages can learn using this edition.
Educators can use the resources provided in the game to build their own lesson plans. Besides, there are several lesson plans available for use covering a wide range of subjects such as science, language arts, computer science, history and culture, math, art and design.
Minecraft On Chromebook
Minecraft: Education Edition features:
- Border blocks: These prevent players from walking across them. The border extends the full range of the Y coordinate, which helps keep players corralled.
- Allow and deny blocks: these are used to deny or allow players to form buildings in certain areas.
- Camera and Portfolio: Players can take pictures of themselves and the surroundings, which will show up in their portfolio.
- Chalkboards: Coming in different sizes, these are used for writing messages to explain learning goals and instructions.
- Non-player characters: Educators can create a non-player character to guide students by giving them messages. the NPC can also link to a URL for further information.
Minecraft On Chromebook Online
Sort by NewestPopular