This project makes it possible to connect your (old) CDJ 1000 MK3 as a midi controller to Rekordbox. You will only have to connect 5 wires to your CDJ’s and the project is completely reversible if you want it to go back using CD’s.
CDJ-850, CDJ-350, CDJ-400, XDJ-1000MK2, XDJ-1000, XDJ-700 ALL-IN-ONE DJ SYSTEM. Play a track on a deck on rekordbox, monitor the sound from the DJM. If the setting is not the one you wish, change it. 12 1.6 To use an all-in-one DJ system as an audio device. Cdj-tour1 rekordbox 1 play /pause play / pause 2 cue cue while play: beat jump 8 while pause: beat jump fine 4 track search prev / next track 5 slip slip 6 4 / 8 beat / loop cutter auto loop 4 / 8 / loop cutter 7 bank bank 8 call / delete call / delete 9 hot cue d / h hotcue d / h 10 hot cue c / g hotcue c / g 11 hot cue b / f hotcue b / f 12 hot cue a / e hotcue a / e. The software Rekordbox prepares your music for the XDJ and CDJ players by Pioneer, like the CDJ 2000. Rekordbox let’s you do a number of things:. Check and change detected beatgrid and BPM. set cue points, cue point names, (auto) loops. set hot cues and hot cue names. set CDJ or XDJ settings (like wave form color, auto cue. Please visit the rekordbox site for all information on rekordbox and rekordbox dj. Open source notice: This software includes open source software codes licensed under GNU General Public License 2 and / or GNU Lesser General Public License 2.1.
While I consider this an easy project, things could go wrong and you can damage your electronics! So do this project at your own risk!
Note that basic functions of using Rekordbox with CDJ 1000 can ben achieved with using timecode CD’s.
Both the source and compiled HEX file are now up on Github
After going through my backups I’ve found an old source for this project. As I’m not planning to work on this in the near future feel free to download and use it. But be nice and be sure to mention Андрей Анацко and also me as project starters and link to this website. Cheers!
The zip file contains the complete source, you can open it with Keil uVision 5 (project file is in the MDK-ARM folder).
This project started when I found Андрей Анацко project to reverse engineering the SPI commands for the cdj1000 mk3. This project is found here. Be Sure to check out his CDJ new life project!
Initially I started this project using an Arduino to translate the CDJ SPI signal to MIDI commands. I got stuck and contacted Андрей Анацко to ask for his help. He was very kind to help me start this project. The project now uses a STM32F429I-DISCOVERY. Total cost are around €60-80 for all the needed hardware.
I worked on it for a few months and there are stil bugs in there so I do not consider this a finished project. As usual use this software at your own risk. I cannot be helt responsible for any damage to your equipment.
If you feel you have a contribution or found a bug just let me know in the comments (here or on youtube). My time for this project is limited so please be patient for a response.
The CDJ controls are mostly the same except for:
- Jogmode Select = Slip mode
- MP3 Folder Search = browse up and down
- Eject = Load selected track
- MP3 Folder Search + Time Mode / Auto CUE = Windows switch (buggy)
- Textmode short press = 4 Loop
- Textmode long press = 8 Loop
- Unlock – Lock = Switch deck. Deck 1 becomes 3 Deck 2 Becomes 4
- Release Start = not used
- Hot Cue Green = Set
- Hot Cue Orange = Empty
- Recmode = Delete Hot Cue
Logic Level Shifter
First step is to build yourself 2 logic level shifters. You will need these (one for each CDJ) because the CDJ works at 5 volts and the stm32 at 3.3 volts. I suggest you build 2 small pcb’s, one for each CDJ.
You will need;
6x ceramic 220pf
2x ceramic 1uF
6x 10 kOhm
2x 470 Ohm
You will also need;
STM32F429I-DISCOVERY and 2 CDJ 1000’s MK 3
ground should be shared between your logic level shifter to the CDJ and the STM32.
Connections to the top panel of the CDJ as in the photo’s below. 13. SCLK 14. SOUT 15. SIN 16. XCS and GND
Rekordbox Cdj 400
Connections to the stm32
CDJ 2/4: PC2 SPI 2 MISO – PC3 SPI 2 MOSI – PB10 SPI 2 SCK – PB12 SPI 2 NSS
CDJ 1/3: PA6 SPI1 MISO – PA7 SPI1 MOSI – PA5 SPI1 SCK – PA4 SPI1 NSS
Don’t forget to disconnect the main pcb from your CDJ so it will not interfere with the stm32. You don’t have to disconnect all cables. Just the one in the photo.
The main pcb is located under the metal plate at the bottom of your CDJ.
Before disconnecting make sure your cd-drive is unloaded.
All hardware is connected now, let’s continue with the software side.
- Install Rekordbox (https://rekordbox.com/)
- Install stm32 cube programmer (https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeprog.html)
- Connect stm32 mini USB to your computer (windows will detect an USB drive)
- Run stm32 Cube programmer
- Use stm32 Cube programmer to download CDJ2MIDI_V1.HEX into your STM32 device
- Close program
- Disconnect mini usb
- Connect mini usb
- Open rekordbox
- When it is fully launched connect the stm32 micro USB to the computer.
- Rekordbox will regocnize PIONEER DDJ SX and ask you to install driver.
- After the installation is complete start your trial or use your license
- Configure your audio output (read sidenote at the end of this file)
- Go to MIDI in the upper right corner and select import
- Import the CDJ2MIDI_V1.CSV file
- Close rekordbox
- Disconnect mini usb and micro usb from your computer
Connecting to Recordbox
All your software is now setup
- Connect your CDJ to STM32
- Power up you CDJ’s as usual
- You should see the POWER ON message on your CDJ display
- You now have to connect the mini usb from the stm32 to an USB charger, it is only needed for power.
If you did this correctly (you’ll have about 10 to 20 seconds) your CDJ should be powered and LED’s will light up. If not you’ll get an error code E-8709. Disconnect the stm32 from the computer power down your CDJ’s and try again from step 1.
- When your CDJ’s are up and running. Launch recordbox.
- When Rekordbox is fully launched connect the micro usb of the STM32 to your computer
- Pioneer will give a notification in the left bottom corner the pioneer ddj-sx is connected.
- You can now use the CDJ to control recordbox.
I assume you know how to configure your audio interface to connect separate channels to your external mixer. If you don’t have an audio interface and want to use your build in headphone or line out. Do the following;
- Start rekordbox
- Go to preferences
- Go to audio
- Select “built-in audio”
- Scroll down and select “external”
- Set output channel Deck 1, Left and Right to Output 1
- Set output channel Deck 2, Left and Right to Output 2
This is mono but you’ll be able to actually mix on your external mixer.
Rekordbox Dj 2019
If you’ve been spinning with a laptop and a DJ controller, you may encounter situations where you’re asked to play at a venue that doesn’t have space in the DJ booth for any other gear apart from the CDJ / DJM set that it has. If you’ve got a tiny controller (like the DDJ-WeGo4) you may be able to squeeze your kit, but if you’ve got a bigger controller like the DDJ-RX or larger, you’re going to run into logistical issues.
Instead of hauling a folding desk or bugging the bar staff for a cocktail table, you can still spin with your laptop using the CDJs. The CDJs essentially become your controller – this is known as HID Mode. There are a bunch of ways to connect CDJs / XDJs to your laptop in HID Mode, and this video will cover off one of those ways.
What is HID Mode?
Rekordbox Cdj Settings
HID (Human Interface Design) Mode lets you control your DJ software’s virtual decks. It does this by sending and receiving data to and from the CDJs and your laptop with virtually zero lag. DJs prefer this over using timecode CDs or USBs because there are added features in a CDJ’s HID Mode, such as the ability to browse your library and view waveforms straight on the CDJ display.
Furthermore, HID Mode is easier to set-up: it just requires connecting the CDJs to your laptop via USB cables, plus connecting the DJM mixer too. No need for fiddling with RCA leads and a DVS box. HID isn’t available in all DJ media players, though the most common CDJ models in clubs have them.