Are you the one struggling with the Steam not recognizing installed game issues? Don’t know why does Steam not detecting installed games?
I just installed MHW for steam but I seem to have this bug/issue where whenever I enter menus, the game auto-scrolls through the options and I can't Press J to jump to the feed. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I got MHW on my PS4 for a great deal. It was 20 dollars off the shelf, and I immediately loved it (I'm about 40 hours in). Then I found out that coincidentally, a lot of my friends from back when I used to play League are all on MHW on PC.
Or what to do when steam doesn’t recognize installed games.
RELAX!!! In this article, I’ll help you to solve all your queries and know how to get steam to recognize installed games?
Steam helps the users to manage all their games from one place. This is very helpful and makes the works a lot easier for gamers.
But, nowadays many gamers are found encountering various Steam related issues. So here in this article, I am going to discuss one such problem – steam not recognizing installed game the players are facing and found reporting on the forums threads.
Steam not detecting installed games on your system is the issue that interrupts the user’s time to time so here check out the complete information why Steam is not installing and how to resolve steam doesn’t detect installed games issue.
Let’s get started…!
Why does Steam not Recognize Installed Game?
Here check out the possible reason why steam stopped recognizing installed games.
- The problem appears when you clean install the Windows and keep the backup of the Steam app folder that comprises games files and other data.
- Something wrong with the game installation
You can move it back to Steam installation folder only to let Steam to re-download the game data back
So, if having the same issue, then here follow the tricks to force Steam to recognize the installed games.
How do I Get Steam to Recognize Installed Games?
#1: Reinstall the Games without Downloading
This is the easiest solution that works for you when Steam fails in recognizing the installed games, it shows an option to install the games again.
Well, if you are having game data in the Steam apps folder, then you would force Steam to detect the games by starting the game installation problem.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, start Steam > go to Games.
- Now choose & click > install for the games that Steam failed to identify.
- And after installing the steam world start determining the existing game files.
Hope after doing this the Steam not detecting installed games issue is solved. But if still, the issues persist then follow the next solution.
#2. Identify Games from New Drive
Check if the main drive (default installation location of Steam) has sufficient space for installing the entire games.
If it is not having enough space to install games then move game data to the new hard drive and after that add the Game Library Folder manually in the Steam app.
Follow the given instructions to do so:
- If you desire your games should be in the D:/games directory > then create a subdirectory and name it “Steamappscommon”. The folder looks like D:>Games > steamapps>common
- And as the subdirectory is generated > move entire games to the newly-created directory.
- After moving games, it looks like:
- D:>Games >steamapps >common >Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag
- D: >Games >steamapps >common > Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead
- Next, from the desktop,> start the Steam app
- And click on Steam > Settings > click the Downloads tab
- And under Content Libraries section > choose Steam Library Folder
- Then click on Add Library Folder > move to the location where the games are moved in D:/games/your_subdirectory.
- Now click on Select > Close for saving the library folder.
- Lastly exit Steam > restart it.
And now Steam scans the newly selected Library folder > display entire games as installed.
#3: Manually Add Steam Library Folder
In the installation disk in the Steamapps folder steam stores the game data by default. But if you had a custom location to store game data then try adding the location in the Steam app to fix the Steam doesn’t recognize installed games.
Here follow the steps to do so:
- First, launch and click on Steam > choose Settings
- And click on Downloads tab > Steam Library Folders.
- Next, in the pop-up window > click on Add Library Folder > choose the location where entire the Steam game data is saved.
- Click on Select > close the Steam settings.
- And exit Steam app > restart Steam
I hope now, Steam starts detecting the installed games again and shows the games in the folder.
#4. Utilize .acf Cache to Force Steam to Recognize Games
After taking the Steamapps folder backup with entire game data, utilize the Steam cache files to force recognize steam games from the game data.
Follow the steps to do it:
- Verify you have reinstalled Steam or have existing installation.
- Now move game data to C: > Program Files (x86) > Steam > Steamapps folder.
- And launch Steam > now steam might display some games that are installed correctly.
- But for the games that not show as installed > choose and click on the Install button
- And steam starts detecting entire existing files.
- But if still, Steam won’t recognize existing files > it starts downloading the files and progress read 0%.
- Now pause updating for games > exit Steam
- Next go to C: > Program Files (x86) > Steam >Steamapps > locate entire current .acf files.
- And copy entire .acf files > move it to a new folder > outside the Steamapps folder.
- Again relaunch Steam > and in the Games library, > affected games appears as uninstalled.
- Exit Steam.
- Now move entire .acf files back into C: > Program Files (x86) > Steam > Steamapps folder.
- Lastly, restart Steam > go the Game library > click Resume Updating the games you paused before.
Well, if everything works well then the entire games you installed earlier will appear as installed. So if any update is needed than update it.
#5: Check the Game’s integrity through Steam
This may work to fix steam doesn’t recognize installed games. Try verifying the integrity of the game cache of your operating system.
Follow the step given:
- From the library section,> load Steam > right click on game > from the menu choose Properties
- Now choose Local files tab > click Verify integrity of game cache button
- And steam starts verifying the game’s files.
- This may take several minutes, wait for the whole process to complete.
And restart your steam, hope this fixes the steam not detecting the issue of the installed game.
#6: Use Steam’s own Backup and Restore Function
You can use steam’s own backup and restore function to copy the game between the PCs to resolve the problem.
Here you need the 65GB of free space on the home computer and 65GB somewhere else like USB drive, or a portable hard drive or USB key. Or else you can a folder on the main system and share it over the network.
Follow the steps to perform the backup and restore:
- In your library > right click on the game > choose Backup Game Files.
- And to do the restore choose Backup and Restore Games > from Steam menu at the top left
- Now make to delete the game files you have copied to the home computer.
Hope the solutions given works for you to fix the Steam not Detecting Installed Games issues.
Well, this is a common problem that many users are struggling but it can be fixed after following the solutions given.
So, try the solutions given one by one to make the steam recognize the installed games. Hope the article helps you to solve your problem.
Well sometimes the issues might be internal and can’t be fixed manually so, in this case, you can scan your system with the PC Repair Tool, this is an advanced tool that fixes various computers issues and errors just by scanning once. And boost the Windows PC performance.
However, is you have any query, suggestions, regarding the ones presented then fee-free to share it with us in the comment section below.
Hardeep has always been a Windows lover ever since she got her hands on her first Windows XP PC. She has always been enthusiastic about technological stuff, especially Artificial Intelligence (AI) computing. Before joining PC Error Fix, she worked as a freelancer and worked on numerous technical projects.
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne comes with new features to enjoy, one of which is the Steamworks! Know how to unlock and use the Steamworks in Seliana, get rare items such as Celestial Wyverian Prints by checking out this guide!!!
Table of Contents
Currently Updating ICEBORNE Info!
|MHW: ICEBORNE Feature Articles|
|Staring MR - Tips||MR Break Guide|
|All Monster List||Recommended MR Build|
How To Unlock Steamworks
Reach Master Rank 3
Clearing the second Master Rank quest, 'Banbaro Blockade', rewards you with a promotion to Master Rank 3 and also unlocks various new places in Seliana, including the Steamworks.Click Here To Know How To Get Through Master Rank Fast!
The Steamworks is located between the gates of the Gathering Hub in Seliana.Click Here For More About The New Base Camp - Seliana!
How To Use Steamworks
Play Steamworks And Get Items
Move the levers by correctly guessing the order of button presses to fill up the giant meter. Try to push the Steamworks to its maximum state to get special items!
Simply press □ △ ◯
Getting items in Steamworks is easy as you just have to guess the proper combinations (□,△,◯) to raise the meter. Items you can get are mostly consumables but also includes rare materials such as 'Celestial Wyverian Prints'.
Clear Quests To Get Fuel
To be able to use the Steamworks, you need fuels which you can get by clearing quests or mine Shards which you can then exchange for fuel.
Exchange Dragonvein Coal For Fuel
Within all the ores, exchanging Dragonvein Coal and Dragonvein Shard gives you the most fuels. You might use other ores for crafting loadout so use Dragonvein Coal and shard for Steamworks.Check Out How To Farm Steamworks Fuel Efficiently
Tips On Steamworks
Steam Mhw Events
Red Frames = Rare Item
When red frames appear around the button icons, that means you will get rare item for sure. Rare items include Heavy Armor Sphere and Gourmet Voucher.
Use Auto Feature
Once you blew up the Steamworks and wen over the lmit, you will unlock auto mode. Simply hold R2 button and Steamworks moves automatically.
Events will randomly pop-up while playing with the Steamworks. If you successfully guessed the proper combination within 4 trials, you will enter Bonus Time.
Felynes Lending a Paw！
Felynes help by assisting in determining which order the buttons should be pressed. You can either watch their order of jumping or just press which buttons is currently shining to get the correct answer.
Unleash The Steam！
This event rewards the player with an increase in filling the meters without consuming any fuel during its course. Though the rewards are the same, take advantage of this event by pressing buttons and getting them in as fast as you can as there are no limits.
Blow Up The Steamworks!
Reaching the maximum of the big meter rewards the player with an explosive cutscene and some great items to boot. Acquire the rare Celestial Wyverian Print and Simple Lights to decorate your home by blowing up the Steamworks.
Items From Steamworks
※Item Rarity: Rare (Red)→Uncommon (Yellow)→Common (Gray)
|Red||Celestial Wyverian Print|
|Red||Heavy Armor Sphere|
|Red||Hard Armor Sphere|
|Yellow||Mega Barrel Bomb|
|Yellow||Dust of Life|
|Yellow||Advanced Armor Sphere|
Steam Mhw Event Schedule
How To Get Celestial Wyverian Prints
Steam Mhw Iceborne Sale
When you blow up the Steamworks for the first time, you will get Celestial Wyverian Prints for sure. After that, the Steamworks will reset every Friday and you'll get Celestial Wyverian Prints every first time you've blew up the Steamworks after the reset.